Archive for April, 2010

2010 24 Apr

Also, again using the guidance, help and advice from Max, we were able to complete the weight and balance measurement. This was actually an interesting one, as we had not really weighed the airplane before. The result wasn’t much of a surprise and neither a disappointment, just a tiny bit heavy at 1166lbs. (529kg). Considering the airplane is fully finished with paint and interior,  just about as much electronics as we could fit and a relatively heavy constant speed prop/engine, this isn’t that bad. We certainly knew that we were going to be above 1100lbs. Still, because the RV has such a nice envelope and payload, this still leaves ample room for us medium weight europeans ;-) Now we just have to stay in shape *LOL*

This HB-YMT Mass and Balance.xls lets you play with some figures. It also checks the limit nosegear load as per Van’s and the Aerobatic limits. Feel free to reuse, many thanks to Carl Morgan (RV-7A, new zealand) for the excellent template! 

2010 24 Apr

With the generous help of Max Vogelsang, we were able to complete the static thrust measurement. Of course, the RV has more than enough power, so that was another one for the papertrail…

2010 21 Apr

Completed the Magnetic Compass Calibration. Both the EFIS magnetometer as well as the backup magnetic compass.

2010 18 Apr
Get the Flash Player to see this content.

(Press the full screen button on the bottom right of the video for high quality)

Last Friday, we celebrated a major milestone :-)

The engine ran successfully for the first time on the airplane!

The start went very well, which I credit to the ECI Fuel Injection and the P-Mag ignition.

As always there were minor snags we had to debug. First, the alternator wasn’t charging. Turns out there are 2 different wiring schemes for the exact same alternator/plug style and by some very straightforward logic, for the alternator field to power, you have to wire a red power wire to a green one ;-) Obvious, yeah right…
And the second problem was that initially, the engine was only running on the electronic ignition and didn’t ignite on the traditional mag circuit. Turns out that we had reinstalled the mag on the wrong cycle, even though the timing marks were basically correct after we took it down to perfrom the service bulletin on the brushes. Anyway, it’s now all sorted out and we’re totally stoked :-)

2010 4 Apr

Also last week, Hanna helped to calibrate the pitot static system… First we had to chase a small leak which turned out to be the a NPT thread fitting that wasn’t exactly tight (not the first problem with thread fittings after all ;-) . After sealing this, everything was well within specs (less than 100ft/min altitude loss and less than 10kts/min speed loss). In the end, the speed drop was about 2 knots and the altitude loss 20ft per minute.

We used a calibration kit from the local maintenance provider to check accuracy. Amazingly, the cheap UMA backup instruments proved to be quite accurate.