2010 7 Jul

Yesterday, 6.7.2010, HB-YMT finally underwent its official inspection by Mr. Alex Husy on behalf of the Federal Office for Civil Aviation (FOCA).

We’re happy that we passed with very few and small writeups only and no showstoppers :-)
Brother P-Touch calling for some more labels *G*

Now, as there’s no such thing as a “Pink Slip” as in the U.S. (which lets you fly right away), we have to wait until we receive the provisional permit to fly. Let’s see how long that takes.

As a rough idea, the first flight could happen as soon as this weekend or as late as beginning of August. All depends on when the final papers arrive and both Lex and I are/will be on vacation as well. Preparation of the EAS internal paperwork was trickier than expected and provided us with a nice delay, so that we start conflicting with vacation :-( Then again, i can imagine worse kinds of conflicts ;-)

Mr. Husy wrapping up the inspection with some more Paperwork

2010 1 Jun

Since i’m getting a lot of questions ;-)

First flight is not far out! We just passed the EAS (Experimental Aviation Switzerland) internal inspection last Friday with very few (mostly paperwork) details to clean up, so the FOCA final inspection won’t be far along.

Everything slipped a bit due to a great vacation in Florida and the Carribean ;-) But we should be able to fly before Oshkosh time is coming around.

Keep checking back.

2010 24 Apr

Also, again using the guidance, help and advice from Max, we were able to complete the weight and balance measurement. This was actually an interesting one, as we had not really weighed the airplane before. The result wasn’t much of a surprise and neither a disappointment, just a tiny bit heavy at 1166lbs. (529kg). Considering the airplane is fully finished with paint and interior,  just about as much electronics as we could fit and a relatively heavy constant speed prop/engine, this isn’t that bad. We certainly knew that we were going to be above 1100lbs. Still, because the RV has such a nice envelope and payload, this still leaves ample room for us medium weight europeans ;-) Now we just have to stay in shape *LOL*

This HB-YMT Mass and Balance.xls lets you play with some figures. It also checks the limit nosegear load as per Van’s and the Aerobatic limits. Feel free to reuse, many thanks to Carl Morgan (RV-7A, new zealand) for the excellent template! 

2010 24 Apr

With the generous help of Max Vogelsang, we were able to complete the static thrust measurement. Of course, the RV has more than enough power, so that was another one for the papertrail…

2010 21 Apr

Completed the Magnetic Compass Calibration. Both the EFIS magnetometer as well as the backup magnetic compass.

2010 18 Apr
Get the Flash Player to see this content.

(Press the full screen button on the bottom right of the video for high quality)

Last Friday, we celebrated a major milestone :-)

The engine ran successfully for the first time on the airplane!

The start went very well, which I credit to the ECI Fuel Injection and the P-Mag ignition.

As always there were minor snags we had to debug. First, the alternator wasn’t charging. Turns out there are 2 different wiring schemes for the exact same alternator/plug style and by some very straightforward logic, for the alternator field to power, you have to wire a red power wire to a green one ;-) Obvious, yeah right…
And the second problem was that initially, the engine was only running on the electronic ignition and didn’t ignite on the traditional mag circuit. Turns out that we had reinstalled the mag on the wrong cycle, even though the timing marks were basically correct after we took it down to perfrom the service bulletin on the brushes. Anyway, it’s now all sorted out and we’re totally stoked :-)

2010 4 Apr

Also last week, Hanna helped to calibrate the pitot static system… First we had to chase a small leak which turned out to be the a NPT thread fitting that wasn’t exactly tight (not the first problem with thread fittings after all ;-) . After sealing this, everything was well within specs (less than 100ft/min altitude loss and less than 10kts/min speed loss). In the end, the speed drop was about 2 knots and the altitude loss 20ft per minute.

We used a calibration kit from the local maintenance provider to check accuracy. Amazingly, the cheap UMA backup instruments proved to be quite accurate.

2010 30 Mar

As one of the many step to get approval for flight in the end, the fuel boost pump performance must be proven under worst case conditions. We achieved this today, besides putting some fuel into the tanks for the first time.

2010 28 Mar

Made good progress towards first engine start. Which we were unable to do as it also rained out a planned full day of work.

So we still got to do some stuff inside the hangar, such as documenting the various control deflections and measuring distances.

2010 20 Mar

As was to be expected, there was some troubleshooting required to get all the avionics to play together nicely. I’m glad to report that practically all the snags could be worked out and we had only miswired two pins (serial TX/RX swapped). Out of a zillion pins, that’s a pretty good feat I would claim. Most of the issues were related to software configurations and sometimes bugs, that will have to be fixed with firmware upgrades. However, there are no showstoppers and nothing that would keep us grounded.

Support by Advanced Flight Systems and Vertical Power is excellent, with very short response times and positive replies.

Looking forward to fuel system stuff and first engine start coming soon!